Thursday, February 18, 2010

VALUE OF THUMBNAIL DRAWING

The thumbnail drawing is made on very inexpensive paper and the drawing is made very roughly emphasizing the tonal values only in three – areas of white, dark and medium scale. Many of these drawings can be made so that one can find the ideal composition as well as the basic tonal values. The maximum size of the drawing is about 5cm by 10 cm but can be smaller. I choose this size because it easily fits on A4 ordinary printing paper and clipboard and therefore easy to handle out of doors. I also very roughly scale the drawing so that I can transfer the outline to my canvass or board.
The value of the thumbnail is simply this – if it works on this small scale in three tones and it makes sense, then it will work on a larger scale. Once it is transferred to my larger canvass, I work very intuitively and make further adjustments but I always have my reference material in the drawing and the actual photo. I have deliberately not just transferred a photo to my canvass – I first draw and already prepare my mind on problem areas when I am going to actually paint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment